Monday, August 07, 2006

Short Time

Speaking of vacations, anyone familiar with prison culture has heard of the phenomenon known as "short time". It refers to the psychological effect of getting very close to being released. The stress drives some inmates half-nuts and then they do something crazy, which almost always results in more jail time. "Short time" is why some prisoners make an escape attempt 3 weeks before they're paroled. It seems insane, but they do it because they're on "short time".

Starting tomorrow, I'm on vacation. I have to work one more day and I'm so full of piss and vinegar that I'm seriously worried about what might happen if a customer gives me any lip. Last night some idiot dumped a shitload of pennies on the counter, and I said "Are you fucking kidding me? I'm not counting that!" It can only get worse tonight. So here's hoping that I'm not unemployed later, by choice or by chance! Hahahaha! Short Time!!!