Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Hallowe'en, babies!

"In just 7 days, I can make you a man!" (Dr. Frank-N-Furter)

30 years later, who can forget this guy? I remember when the Rocky Horror Picture Show first came out, it was so weird that mainstream moviegoers didn't know what to make of it. It was an instant cult hit, though, and pretty soon it caught on as a Hallowe'en tradition. Everybody dressed up for it: I remember dressing up as Magenta to go to a midnight screening at an old theatre in downtown Toronto, throwing toast and rice at the screen and dancing in the aisle. Audience participation at its finest.

And the tradition goes on! I see it's playing at a theatre in Vancouver tonight (at midnight of course). If it wasn't across the pond, I'd go. Because what's Hallowe'en without a little toast-throwing and time-warping? Dig it, if you can.