Friday, March 23, 2007

Rat poison in tainted pet food?

WTF?

"The rat poison, which may have been used on wheat imported from China, is illegal in the U.S., NBC News correspondent Tom Costello told MSNBC TV.

The deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food produced by Menu Foods and sold throughout North America under 95 brand names. There have been reports of kidney failure, some fatal, in pets that ate the recalled brands. The company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog."

This is the tainted pet food that was discovered last week, when some pets died after eating it. Only cans and pouches are affected, so I thought it might be just from them sitting too long; they have a shelf life like any other canned food. But rat poison? Not the "naturally-occurring toxin" they thought might be the problem.

A couple of days ago one of the Blogging Wingnuts suggested it might be a dry-run for a terrorist attack. I think this is just a wee bit paranoid... I mean, how much canned food do we eat anyway? What's the plan, poison the baked beans and create a gas so deadly that we fart ourselves to death? I don't buy it (although I'm sure some people are throwing out all their canned food at this very moment).

Much as they'd prefer the wet, mushy stuff, my dog & cat only get kibble. Maybe I'll start eating it too.