Sunday, October 07, 2007

R.I.P. Western Standard

When I was in the ad biz, I got comp copies of just about every magazine in the known Canadian media universe. Never mind Macleans, Time, even Harrowsmith -- the one I always looked forward to was the Alberta Report, so chock-full it was of wingnutty goodness and unintentional humour.

By the time the AR died, I'd already left the business, but it had kept me chuckling in amusement and amazement twice a year in doctors' and dentists' waiting rooms, so with its demise a tiny semi-annual light went out of my life. A few months later there was an heir to the AR throne, the Western Standard, which was even better (or worse, depending how you look at it) than its predecessor. But after a 3-year run, the WS print version, mercilessly executed by the very free market forces it so feverishly supported, has passed on, is no more, is an ex-magazine:

The Western Standard, a national conservative news magazine, has closed after more than three years and 82 publications.

The magazine's moral and editorial strength was its financial weakness, founding publisher Ezra Levant said on Friday.

If I'm reading that last bit right it translates to "right-wingers are cheap". Ha!