Thursday, November 29, 2007

RCMP - the BS never stops

I'm getting tired of starting posts about the RCMP with the word "unbelievable", so let's kick this one off with "What a steaming load of bullshit":
"The RCMP Public Complaints Commissioner has ruled an officer's use of lethal force was necessary in the death of Ian Bush in Houston, B.C.

In a report released Thursday, Commissioner Paul Kennedy also ruled the RCMP's North District Major Crime Unit conducted a "highly professional'' investigation into Bush's death." [...]

"Bush, 22, was arrested outside the Houston, B.C., hockey rink with an open beer in October 2005. Less than an hour later he was dead, lying in a blood-spattered room in the RCMP detachment.

Const. Paul Koester testified he shot the young man in the back of the head in self-defence while the two were alone in an interview room." (emphasis mine)

Try as I might, I can't imagine how anyone could shoot a guy in the back of the head in self-defense. Defending oneself during a life and death struggle would suggest some kind of face-to-face situation, wouldn't it? Maybe I'm missing something. If I am, please advise. And I really hope I am.