Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Pharmacist sues after being fired for refusing to do his job

It should be interesting to see where this one goes:
"A Detroit pharmacist is suing his former employer, Target, alleging that he was fired for refusing to dispense emergency contraceptives. The pharmacist, Brian Bundy, claims that Target violated the US Civil Rights Act of 1964 by not accommodating his religious beliefs, reports the Daily Women’s Health Policy Report.


Bundy was fired seven months after the Plan B emergency contraceptive pill became available over the counter for women over the age of 18. He claims that he alerted his employer about his religious beliefs before he was hired, but Target insisted he dispense Plan B to over-the-counter customers, reports
Detroit News."
Sigh... when I was waitressing, I was a vegetarian for awhile. If I'd refused to serve a roast beef dinner I would have been canned on the spot, and rightly so. Adding "God" to the equation makes no difference... beliefs are beliefs, and at the time I totally, religiously, believed we shouldn't eat meat. But recognizing that this was just my personal take on things, I wasn't about to keep anyone else from indulging in dead animal. (Yet another wagon I fell off -- bring on the prime rib!)

If these nitwits want to be pharmacists, they'd better be prepared to dispense drugs, as per their job description. If they'd rather be raving religious nuts, I'm sure there's an empty soapbox on a street corner somewhere.