Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Speaking of sticky keyboards...

I thought I'd check on FD and see how they're holding up under the pile of libel suits they're being buried alive in. (I throw on the hip waders and go there so you don't have to.)

Conventional wisdom suggests it would make sense for all Free Speech Freedom Fighters to devote all their time and energy to neutralizing (without prejudice) any legal salvos being fired their way. But -- hmm. That sounds like it might be kind of... hard work. Wouldn't it be so much easier to just look around for someone else to sue? "We can do that too! Nyeah nyeah!"

Here's a man with a plan:

Huh. This guy apparently spends enough time poking around xtra, looking for action (-able statements) that he's even got some favourite "grist for actionable items"... Suggesting the Bible be banned? -- Actionable! Calling for an end to the taxpayer-funded free ride of Catholic Schools? -- Actionable!! Does this guy even understand what "actionable" means? -- Is that question Actionable! too?

I'm sure I don't have to point out the irony of those bemoaning libel chill and the curtailment of free speech simultaneously going around searching for someone they can sue. Given the litigious nature of some of those they point to as "free speech freedom fighters", I shouldn't be surprised by the cognitive dissonance... and yet, I always am.

But never mind that: "poke around" -- an innocent Freudian slip? I wonder.