Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Is this even physically possible?

Awesome, I just found another reason to crack a cold beer and relax instead of heading out to the back 40 to whack some bush with the chainsaw:
"A ‘vulnerable’ man cut off his own head with a chainsaw after being ordered to move out of his home to make way for developers, police believe.

David Phyall’s severed head was found beside the power tool inside his housing association flat shortly after receiving his eviction notice."

In addition to this poor guy being evicted and apparently having trouble coping with the situation, this is a troubling story for other reasons.

I can't believe this wasn't some kind of a bizarre accident. In the sad case that the poor guy was so disturbed that an eviction notice would put him over the edge (and it could happen), would a chainsaw be anyone's choice of exit strategy? Is it even physically possible to cut one's own head off with a chainsaw?

This story resonated because I have a Fear of Chainsaws so profound that every time I start one I scream. Nothing ever happens, of course, but I scream just the same, out of habit. Just yesterday, I was talking to a friend who also fears chainsaws, and I said "I'm always afraid the goddamn thing's gonna whip back and lop my head off or something". I didn't know it could really happen.

Heading out now (so to speak). Wish me luck.