Friday, September 12, 2008

Palin's ABC Interview: "Lost in a blizzard of words"

Okay, now that I've gotten a grip, here are some other points of interest from Sarah Palin's ABC interview:

On accepting the VP spot:

GIBSON: And you didn't say to yourself, "Am I experienced enough? Am I ready? Do I know enough about international affairs? Do I -- will I feel comfortable enough on the national stage to do this?"

PALIN: I didn't hesitate, no.

GIBSON: Didn't that take some hubris?

PALIN: I -- I answered him yes because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can't blink.

So I didn't blink then even when asked to run as his running mate.

GIBSON: But this is not just reforming a government. This is also running a government on the huge international stage in a very dangerous world.
(Who else do we know that makes earth-shatteringly important decisions on the fly, without blinking or thinking, often with disastrous results? Hmm? Starts with "George"... ends with "Bush"...?)

On God:
GIBSON: You said recently, in your old church, "Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God." Are we fighting a holy war?

PALIN: You know, I don't know if that was my exact quote.

GIBSON: Exact words.

(Notice that her first instinct when asked an uncomfortable question is to deflect, or as we call it around here, LIE.)

On Russia:
"They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
(When I go up on my roof I can see the ocean, but that don't make me a marine biologist.)


On Pre-emptive War:

GIBSON: But, Governor, I'm asking you: We have the right, in your mind, to go across the border with or without the approval of the Pakistani government.

PALIN: In order to stop Islamic extremists, those terrorists who would seek to destroy America and our allies, we must do whatever it takes and we must not blink, Charlie, in making those tough decisions of where we go and even who we target.

GIBSON: And let me finish with this. I got lost in a blizzard of words there. Is that a yes?

(Charlie's frustration is really starting to show at this point.)

On possible war with Russia:

GIBSON: Would you favor putting Georgia and Ukraine in NATO?

PALIN: Ukraine, definitely, yes. Yes, and Georgia.

GIBSON: Because Putin has said he would not tolerate NATO incursion into the Caucasus.

PALIN: Well, you know, the Rose Revolution, the Orange Revolution, those actions have showed us that those democratic nations, I believe, deserve to be in NATO.

Putin thinks otherwise. Obviously, he thinks otherwise, but...

GIBSON: And under the NATO treaty, wouldn't we then have to go to war if Russia went into Georgia?

And just for good measure, my personal favourite, on the Bush Doctrine:

GIBSON: Do you agree with the Bush doctrine?

PALIN: In what respect, Charlie?

GIBSON: The Bush -- well, what do you -- what do you interpret it to be?

PALIN: His world view.

GIBSON: No, the Bush doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq war.
It was so bad I almost feel sorry for all those Rethugs that must have been watching this and thinking "Oh. My. God." It has to be clear to anyone with two halves to rub together that this woman is hopelessly, ridiculously out of her depth, and putting her in office would be not only an embarassment but a danger to the country and the world. This wasn't even a hard interview -- imagine what Joe Biden would do to her in the VPs' debate. The word "annihilate" comes to mind.