Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Keef

There's a reason Keith Richards has always been my favourite rolling stone. Years ago he set the bar for pure, feverish dionysian bacchanalia at a level higher than the average human being could sustain for more than a week. He's been in more "dead pools" than probably anyone in history, but unlike most aging rock stars, he hasn't really mellowed out that much. Recently Keith discussed his drug use, and some of the stranger substances he's snorted:

"Keith Richards has acknowledged consuming a raft of illegal substances in his time, but this may top them all. In comments published Tuesday, the 63-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist said he had snorted his father's ashes mixed with cocaine.

'The strangest thing I've tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father,' Richards was quoted as saying by British music magazine NME.

'He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared,' he said. '... It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive.'"

That's Keef. Often imitated, never duplicated. At least not by anyone who lived to talk about it.