Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Surprise, surprise

After penning a column suggesting that Sarah Palin drop out of the GOP ticket, conservative columnist Kathleen Parker found herself on the receiving end of a shitload of spittle-flecked, foam-sprayed mail from Palin's rabid supporters:

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am a traitor and an idiot. Also, my mother should have aborted me and left me in a dumpster, but since she didn't, I should "off" myself.

Those are a few nuggets randomly selected from thousands of e-mails written in response to my column suggesting that Sarah Palin is out of her league and should step down."

Parker notes that while she's received some pretty angry mail over the years, this is the first time it's been so "vicious and threatening". The message, Parker says, appears to be "toe the party line or be silenced" -- no dissenting ideas will be tolerated.

Noooooooo!! Really??? But that's Duh Base! Might be time to get a new one, eh?

UPDATE: And Parker's not the only one! Let's hope this little glimpse into the belly of the beastly "base" is enough of an eye-opener that rational conservatives will consider going the way of Sullivan and Cole...