Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Temporarily off the grid

Boom! On go the lights!


I've been without hydro since last night -- the wild winds of pre-winter whipped some power lines down and plunged this whole terrified section of the grid into the big darkness. I expected it to be back on this morning, but when I got up at 5am it was still out. To add to my aggravation I felt like I was coming down with another cold -- or maybe it's the last blast of my September cold, an incredibly tenacious and muscular virus. But so what? I had the day off, so I grabbed a bottle of orange juice and took the dog for an extended run -- we ran by the beach and saw the sun come up, a welcome sight to someone who's been stumbling around in the dark for awhile. I was hoping (no more "expecting") that the power would be back on by the time I returned home. Nope. What!?

This was getting serious. I was wide awake and sweaty now, and panting for a coffee and a shower, but when you're on well water, being without hydro also means being without running water. I wasn't about to break into my emergency water supply and start a fire in the woodstove just to make a cuppa, so there was only one option: dive head-first back into my duvet, followed by 3 cats and one lethargic dog. Besides, by this time I was sneezing, hacking and snotting in the throes of a full-blown cold, so it was clearly the right thing to do.


Eight hours later this cold has unfortunately settled in, but at least I once again have hydro, running water and the internet. Did I miss anything???
(I'm almost afraid to ask.)