Wednesday, June 21, 2006

"Happy Morning"(!!!???)

This has been making the rounds on the web the last couple of days, and I must say it's one of the most bizarre commercials I've ever seen. I was in advertising for almost 20 years and in that time I saw some strange and stupid things. But no matter how bad an ad was, you could usually get some sense of the message and associated emotion it was trying to convey. This one has me baffled. A bunch of what looks like aliens, waking people up with a cheery little reminder that they can sleep when they're dead. Weird to the last drop.

Rethink: I'm guessing this might be one of those "viral" ads that only run on the net. They're usually a little too weird for TV, and their purpose is just to generate online buzz. Remember the VW "Suicide Bomber" ad? Designed to offend as many people as possible, but I liked it.