Friday, June 23, 2006


Tierra del Fuego

This little chunk of mountain in the Antarctic is one of those places I've always wanted to see, ever since learning about it in Grade 3 history class. At the time, it seemed like the ultimate scary and mysterious place, with the only sign of life being all the tiny fires burning in the caves on the mountainside. I pictured it as dark, desolate and freezing cold, which it may have been at the time Magellan passed by, if it was in June or July. In fact it's at about 55 degrees south latitude, its northern counterpart being south of Edmonton. So it's not quite the frozen wasteland I envisioned as a child. But I still want to see it... in July, when it's icy cold and dark, the way it was when the first explorers saw it. I think this would be mind-blowing.