Friday, June 02, 2006

Terrorists in The Big Smoke?

This
is what I saw when I got home from work and turned on the TV
. The whole story has yet to emerge, but it looks like 10-12(?) people were popped on terrorism-related charges today in the Greater Toronto area. Apparently the arrests were the result of a 2-year-long investigation involving CSIS, the RCMP and other authorities. It sounds like those arrested were all members of the same "cell", and had been under surveillance for quite a while. Supposedly they were planning an attack on some targets in Toronto, but what the targets were and what stage the plans were at hasn't been revealed yet. The cops are having a press conference tomorrow a.m., when they'll hopefully provide more details.

This makes me sad, sad, sad. Call me naive, but I thought Canadians were immune to this kind of thing -- not anymore, now that we're killing people in Afghanistan right along with the US. Thanks, Harper.