Monday, July 31, 2006

Ceasefire, not.

When I went to bed last night, Israel had announced a 48-hour ceasefire, ostensibly to investigate the brutal bombing of civilians at Qana. When I got up this morning, they were at it again. The ceasefire lasted 17 hours. I don't know if this is some kind of record or not, but it certainly makes Condi Rice's visit look like it was for naught. It makes you wonder what they really talked about in those meetings -- "Hold your fire til I can get my ass out of here, then knock yourself out"?

George W supports Israel and says there can be no ceasefire until the wider problems in the region are addressed: "Iran must end its financial support and supply of weapons to terrorist groups like Hezbollah... Syria must end its support for terror... blah blah... America more secure... yak yak... September the 11th... yadda yadda yakkety yak." On the other hand, Condi Rice is "hopeful of a ceasefire later this week". Certs is a breath mint, certs is a candy mint. Stop! My head hurts. Arrgh.