Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Don't know what to think of this movie

"World Trade Center", opening here in 2 weeks, focuses on how 2 firefighters were rescued from the rubble after the WTC fell. I'm kind of ambivalent about this movie. Watching the trailer, as I saw the shadow of a plane heading for a building, my stomach lurched and I thought, "too soon".

I'm a bit surprised at Oliver Stone. I always thought of him as a lefty conspiracy-theorist-type director, but he has to know that this kind of movie can only help the Republicans politically. I can see wanting to make the movie (although I still think it's too soon), but why not release it for Christmas instead? It's too late to be a "summer movie".

Not to be a conspiracy theorist myself, but the timing of the release does make the movie look like a piece of Republican pre-election propaganda. Which I think demeans, rather than exalts, the memory of the people who were killed that day. I wish they'd held off on releasing it til after the elections; but that's just me.