Friday, August 03, 2007

Collective sigh of relief at FD

I'm almost afraid to post this, but given that I posted about it a few times at the outset it's only fair to follow up: the CHRC complaint against Free Dominion has been withdrawn.

I'm not sure how these things work, but my guess is that in the time that's elapsed since the site owners received the complaint there's been plenty of back-and-forth between them and the CHRC. Without taking any sides here (sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious), I would venture that this is probably what should have gone down before the complaint was issued in the first place. Rather than immediately firing off a formal complaint that seems to come out of nowhere, which in my view is almost Kafkaesque, some preliminary dialogue would have saved everyone involved a lot of grief.

In the meantime, it'll be interesting to see if there were any lessons learned from this little exercise in aggravation. We'll know the answer to that question if Whatcott starts posting there again.