Friday, August 10, 2007

Something fishy

I was browsing teh Google for an image of one of those creepy little plastic fetuses (a photoshop project I'm working on for an upcoming post, mwahahaha), and look what I found -- the "Christian Dollar" ("the Dollar Store for Christians", the subtitle explains helpfully).

Christian Dollar the Dollar Store for Christians had a plastic fetus, but not fetus-y enough for my purposes. (I need a fetus that's bursting with fetiosity, and this one didn't make the cut.) I was about to click out when something grabbed my eye and made me do a "what-the!", so I clicked back and up in the corner, the Christian Dollar Store's logo, a jebus fish in the pattern of a US flag. Like so:


The not-so-subliminal message is pretty clear: this is the state religion and all you atheists, jews, hindus, muslims (especially muslims), buddhists, wiccans, pagans and aboriginals who follow their own ancient religious teachings might as well pack up and leave. The Christian Dollar the Dollar Store For Christians, says "This land is my land, but this land isn't your land." (Or the indigenous might interpret it as: what's yours is mine, what's mine is mine.)

Such symbolism abounds in the US; it's so run-of-the-mill that people have become more or less desensitized to it. One of the differences between the US and Canada - they're an aggressively christian melting pot, where we're more of a cultural mosaic. That's why in Canada we don't usually see things like this:

Or if we did, it would be an anomaly. I'd like to keep it that way: yet another reason to oppose deep integration and the SPP.