Friday, May 16, 2008

"He's eating my brains."

Yeah, that kind of caught my eye, too. It stirred something in my memory and I thought it might be a line from some paean to insanity like "Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas", but it's not. Rather, it's a quote from our winner of the Tough Guy of the Week Award:
"A 53-year-old man in Saanich, B.C., managed to drive to safety after a grizzly bear mauled his head and tossed him to the ground in the woods near Bella Coola, about 700 kilometres north of Vancouver.

The attack took place on May 3 when Brent Case was on a surveying job along the rugged Central Coast area.

"He came up from behind me and started gnawing at the back of my head. It just started ripping the scalp off the head," Case told CBC News on Friday." [...]

"He's eating my gristle and he's gnawing on my head. I was saying, 'He's eating my brains. I can feel it.' I know it's happening and I said, 'God! I hope it gets over soon'" he said.
Fortunately the bear lost his appetite and shuffled away, and Case made it to his truck -- and drove(!) 25 km(!!) to a gas station. They set him up with an ambulance and away he went to the hospital.
"I said [to the doctors], 'There's nothing hanging out that you're not telling me?' They said, 'No, you're OK'"

Now that's an Alpha Male.