Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right

The flack I get from both sides of the political spectrum over the simplest principles. *Tsk* I've always self-identified as a "lefty" (for lack of any other option), and for sure those "political compass" questionnaires consistently place me in the LLQ of the LLQ (although I seem to be inexorably inching towards anarchy EDIT: anarchism?). But I don't wear ideological blinders and I don't march in lockstep with anyone; never have never will. I am what I am and that's all that I am, as some sailor-philosopher once said.

Let's review (and if I have to explain this one more time, I'll be starting to feel a little bit like this -- "Say 'what' again! Say 'what' one more goddamn time! I dare you! I double dare you, motherfucker!"): On the right, the problematic principle is, as usual, a woman's right to choose. On the left it's the right to free speech. In both cases, there's a huge difference between supporting the principle and supporting the individual choices people make.

In this corner! I'm dismayed to find the odd liberal is still hectoring me (albeit under cloak of anonymity) about my position on free speech. So let's take Free Dominion (please, take Free Dominion) as an example, since that's what specifically offended some of my lefty compatriots. (How dare I.) FD's choice to permit destructive, bigoted psychopaths to drool all over their webspace disgusts me, but I support their right to choose who and what they allow on their own forum. That said, I unequivocally support the right of minorities not to be victimized by hate speech, and as such I recognize that there may be a limit to what we as a society have to put up with in the name of free expression. There are laws in place to deal with those who go over that line, and whether or not everyone agrees with how they define "hate speech" and the extent to which they should be allowed to reach into our lives is irrelevant; every case is unique.

In that corner! Certain conservatives have difficulty understanding that I can support Michelle Duggar's right to choose to have 17+ kids without supporting that particular choice. Mrs. Duggar's choice to have a seemingly-unending stream of kids also disgusts me (on a number of levels), but that's just my opinion. I unconditionally support her right to make that choice and I'd never try to take it away by lobbying the government to pass a law against it or to make any other limitations to her personal choice. And while it's Mrs. Duggar's right to choose to have as many kids as she can crank out, and it's my right to have a personal opinion on her choice, it's not my right to impose my personal opinion on her. Her right to choose trumps my right to an opinion about her choice.

Hmmm, see any similarities?

What's really astonishing is that while my disgruntled friends on both right and left can totally understand one or the other of these constructs, a surprising number seem unable to put them together for that ultimate Lightbulb-appears-above-the-head Moment. Hope this helps.