Friday, March 21, 2008

Speaking of cartoons

They were bound to find common ground sooner or later. In Russia, Christian and Muslim groups have joined together to condemn the cartoon channel "2x2", and demand that it be shut down. "2x2" runs "South Park" and other fare that the groups say is anti-religious:
"For a second time in two weeks, religious groups have called for the closure of Russia's cartoon channel 2X2.

Christian and Muslim groups are demanding that 2X2 be shut down because it airs cartoons, such as South Park, which they deem to be anti-religious, violent as well as promoting homosexuality."

Yeah? As a side issue, I see this expression "promote homosexuality" a lot on the lifesites and socon blogs of the world, and it's always eluded me what that means. As a (former) advertising person, I know what a "promotion" is: high-intensity, high-frequency, heavyweight media exposure of a product. Granted, I don't watch a lot of TV, but I'm not completely cut off from the media and I have yet to see this big promotional campaign for homosexuality. Maybe it only runs at a certain time of day? If someone can enlighten me, please do.